ReverteTM has been used for many years in a wide range of applications, listed below is just a small example of where ReverteTM has been successfully utilised and how it has improved the product offering.
Agricultural Mulch films are used all over the world in order to control the growing conditions of crops and enhance moisture conditions, and smooth out variations in temperature and rain fall during the growing season. These products are an essential part of the high intensity agricultural farming required in order to meet the demands of an increasing population.
With this application the film is often almost impossible to recover and where it is, it is heavily soiled. In some situations it can carry ten times its own weight of soil, making pulling it from the ground in one complete piece almost impossible.
In some regions thicker films are collected and washed off, but this is rare and very much crop dependant.
It is more likely that they will be torn up and either land filled or burnt, neither is a suitable end to this important agricultural tool.
Wells Plastics have spent the last four years in an intensive development program in the agricultural world looking at a longer term solution for this problem.
agricultural mulch films - benefits
Incorporation of ReverteTM into an Agricultural Mulch film has the following benefits:
- A film can be made so thin without the intention for it ever to be lifted from the soil; this allows ultrathin films to be utilised saving on plastic, costs and resources.
- The film will at a predetermined exposure breakdown rapidly allowing the crop to be recovered and the degraded polymer ploughed in. This highly degraded material is susceptible to biodigestion and will ultimately biodegrade.
- Wells Plastics have developed a special agricultural film grade which can be dosed at different levels to achieve different breakdown kinetics to suit the crop.
- This material has been independently analysed over the last four years for safety, suitability and of course biodegradability.
- The use of a ReverteTM film has many advantages of the use of a hydrobiodegradable material; in particular the weight of the film can be four times greater than that of a light weight polyethylene film.
- The carbon foot print of a ReverteTM treated film is far more favourable than that of the hydrobiodegradable solutions currently available.
- The cost is much more attractive in all terms.
- The formulation is programmed to suit the crop and climate.